Monday, January 5, 2009

School Portrait Update 3

I know this is taking longer than ; a new medium combined with a limited palette have really slowed me down.

I've learned a couple of things today. 1/ You have to build up more pastel than I thought you would need to and 2/ you can combine Polychromos colored pencils with the pastel pencils if you really need a color not in your set. The color I am most missing is light flesh... I can't go from medium flesh to cream without too much blending and a struggle, so I finally dug into my colored pencils and used a bit of the light flesh on the hand.

5 comments:

Making A Mark said...

I find pastels and coloured pencils work well together so long.

This has really made progress!

Laura said...

I think this is coming along beautifully - I'm sure I would have grabbed my cp's a lot earlier:)

Have you tried the FC Polychromos pastel sticks? There are 120 colours in the set, same as the pencils, and could be the answer if you are planning on working a lot more with pastels.

Jo Castillo said...

I'm saying it again, you are amazing. This is so beautiful. We see no lack of colors.

Unknown said...

Thanks Katehrine!!

Laura I haven't but was eyeing them in my catalog earlier.

Thanks Jo!

Anonymous said...

Love this Nicole! There are several pastel options out there which I have had my eye on for sometime. It is important to decide if you want to work with the softer pastels or thoses that are called "soft pastels" but are actually much harder when applying to the support.
then there is the ever present dust factor...

Many have enjoyed using tha panpastels but not sure they would work for the portraits...

For those interested check out the pastel thread at wetcanvas.com. Lots of good info there

Happy painting, Pam